Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Real Spinner at Last!

I've had my spinning wheel at least nine years, and I finally feel like a real spinner: I have to replace parts!

I'm making some yarn for my aunts, and some of it is silk, which I have never spun. So I asked Lisa, who dyed the fiber, for advice. She said (among other things) that I should tighten the brake. Which meant I had to find out which part is the brake (I'm a really well-schooled spinner!). And I found out that mine is worn out, so I ordered a replacement, which arrived in a couple days, and I went on spinning some BFL. When I finished, I started some Polwarth; there was a horrible noise, and the treadle broke off the part that moves the wheel (really well-schooled, I'd say). So I had to order a footman to treadle connector; in fact, I ordered two (I hate ordering on the internet!), and, while I was at it, I ordered a spare drive belt. Are there any more breakable/replaceable parts on this thing?

Anyway, here it is a quiet, gloomy Sunday, and I can't spin until sometime next week when the parts arrive. I guess I'll have to read . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment